Sunday, April 6, 2014

Will of John Blake, Gentleman, Stratford Langthorn, West Ham, Essex - The National Archives PROB 11/1771/19, probated 2 Dec 1771

The testator, John Blake of Stratford Langthorn, West Ham, Essex, does give a few clues to his family. He is married to Mary. He has a half brother John Robinson and two nieces Elizabeth Rolph and Mary Litchfield. He identifies the home location for John Robinson as Sudbrook, Lincolnshire (near Lincoln).

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 1 Apr 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/973/19
Testator: John Blake, Gentleman
Place: Stratford Langthorn, West Ham, Essex, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 26 Jul 1771, probated 2 Dec 1771
Condition: 18th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: John
[Margin]: Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I John Blake of Stratford Langthorn in the Parish
3    of Westham in the County of Essex Gentleman being
4    in perfect health and memory for which I render
5    hearty thanks to God but considering the frailty of
6    human life Do make this my last Will and Testament
7    in manner and form following (that is to say) I com[m]end
8    my Soul into the hands of Almighty God believing in
9    him Remission of Sins and Everlasting life by the
10    Merits Death and Passion of Jesus Christ my
11    Saviour and Redeemer my Body I Commit to the
12    Earth to be Decently Interred by my Executrix herein
13    after named as follows That is to say If I shall die
14    in the Town of Stratford aforesaid then to be buried
15    in the Churchyard belonging to the Parish of
16    Westham in the Vault belonging formerly to Mr
17    Yarsons’s Family if agreeable to them if not in
18    a Grave Six feet Deep and as near the said Vault
19    as Convenient and to have a hand Stone inscribing
20    who and what I was and as to my Worldly Estate I
21    Dispose thereof as follows Imprimis I will that all
22    my Just Debts and Funeral Charges be first paid and
23    satisfied Item I give and bequeath unto my half
24    Brother John Robinson of Sudbrook near Lincoln
25    in the County of Lincoln Thirty pounds if he shall
    [Page 2]
26    be living at the time of my Decease if not then
27    I Give and bequeath the said Thirty pounds
28    unto my two Neices Elizabeth Rolph and Mary
29    Litchfield equally Share and Share alike Item
30    I Give and bequeath unto Charles Smith Esquire
31    Treasurer of the Charity School of Westham or
32    his successor (if he should Die in my life or be
33    removed) Twenty pounds for the use of the said
34    Charity Item I Give unto John Grant one Suit of
35    my Cloaths at the Discretion of my Said Wife and
36    as to all the Rest Residue and Remainder of my
37    Estate and Effects whatsoever or wheresoever the
38    same is was or shall or may be at the time of my
39    Decease I Give Devise and bequeath the same
40    unto my beloved Wife Mary Blake her executors
41    admors and Assigns for ever and I do hereby
42    revoke all former and other Wills by me at any
43    time heretofore made and do publish and declare
44    this and this only to be my last Will and Testament
45    and do hereby Constitute and Appoint my Said
46    beloved Wife Mary Blake Sole Executrix hereof
47    In Witness whereof I the said John Blake the
48    Testator have to this my Last Will and Testament
49    set my hand and affixed my Seal this Twenty Sixth
50    day of July in the year of our Lord One thousand
51    Seven hundred and Seventy one John Blake
52    Signed, Sealed, published and declared by the
53    Testator John Blake as and for his last Will
54    and Testament in the presence of us who have in
55    his presence and in the presence of each other
56    and at his request Subscribed our names as
57    Witnesses hereto the words (Thirty pounds) being
58    first interlined Thomas Crook and an Wm Deyongh
60    This Will was proved at London the
61    second day of December in the year of our Lord
62    One thousand Seven hundred and Seventy one
63    before the Worshipful Andrew Coltee Ducarel
64    doctor of Laws Surrogate of the Right Worshipful
65    George hay also doctor of Laws Master Keeper
66    or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
67    lawfully Constituted by the Oath of Mary Blake
68    Widow the Relict of the deceased Sole Executrix named
69    in the Said Will to whom Administration was Granted
70    of all and Singular the Goods Chattels and Credits
71    of the said deceased she having been first sworn
72    duly to administer

No comments: