Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Will of Clementia Blake, spinster, Bristol - The National Archives PROB 11/1574/256, probated 16 Nov 1815

Another Blake family will that mentions Walcot Bath. Clementia is the daughter of William Blake who left his will in 1792 and will be transcribed later.

Clementia Blake was buried 29 Sep 1815 at St Stephen, Bristol. She was 70 years of age giving her an estimated birth year of 1745. This is a transcription by Family Search (digital folder number 004242565, image number 15).

The marriage of Mary Blake to John Marsh took place in 1778 at St James Bristol (Family Search M17286-5).

Rebecca, the sister of the testatrix, could be the Rebecca Blake christened at Bristol 21 Apr 1759 (Family Search) and the daughter of William and Rebecca Blake). More will be learned from William’s will plus is this "possibly" a descendant line of Ambrose Blake of Pinhills?

The last couple of days I am coming to realize that many of these Gloucestershire Wills belong to the Blake family of Calne descendants. When I do the will of William Blake probated in 1792 I will attempt to bring all of these wills together and create a family tree for the descendants of Ambrose as shown by the wills. Finding more information on Ambrose would be interesting but this is a difficult period in England during the Civil War and then the Commonwealth under Cromwell when parish registers were forbidden and many items unrecorded. 

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 13 Apr 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1574/256
Testator:  Clementia Blake, Spinster
Place: Bristol, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 18 Apr 1814, probated 16 Nov 1815
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Clementia
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 12

1    By the Permission of God
2    I Clementia Blake of the City of Bristol spinster being of sound and
3    disposing mind memory and understanding do this eighteenth day of
4    April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fourteen
5    make publish declare this my last will and Testament in manner
6    following that is to say I give and devise unto Daniel Taylor
7    Haythorne of the parish of Stapleton in the County of Gloucester Esq[uie]r
8    and Mr Richard Jones of the Parish of Saint Paul in the City of Bristol
9    Taylor their heirs all that my freehold messuage or Tenements situate
10    on the East side of Saint James’s Church now in the parish of Saint
11    James in the said City now or late in the occupation of William
12    Hammings patten maker to hold the same unto the said Daniel Taylor
13    Haythorne and the said Richard Jones and their heirs for ever to the
14    use and upon the trust herein after expressed and declared of concerning
15    the same that is to say to the use of my Friend Edward Cartor of the
16    City of Bristol Carpenter with whom I now reside in trust for the said
17    Edward Carter and for his sole use benefit and for the use benefit of
18    his heirs assigns for ever and to for or upon no other use trust
19    intent or purpose whatsoever which said messuage or Tenement I
20    give to the said Edward Carter in manner aforesaid from the great
21    regard I have form for him and for his late Wife Mary Carter for
22    the many kindnesses they hath shown me Whereas the sum of two
23    hundred seventy pounds or thereabout was placed out at interest in
24    the name of Mr Jeremiah Osborne a Trustee on that occasion
25    on security of a messuage being no 17 in Kingsmead street in the
26    parish of Walcot Bath in the County of Somerset now in the occupation
27    of Adam Hevor I give the said messuage or Tenement as far as I have
28    any power or control respecting the same unto the said Daniel Taylor
29    Haythorne and the said Richard Jones upon trust for the use and
30    benefit of the said Edward Carter during his life I also give him all rent
31    that shall at my decease be due to me for the said two messuages
32    or Tenements and from and after his decease I give devise the said
33    messuage or Tenement in Kingsmead street unto and to the use of the
34    three children of my late Brother William Blake equally between
35    them and their respective heirs and assigns for ever as tenants in
36    common also I give bequeath unto the said Edward Carter all and
37    every debt and debts sum sums of money if any that may at the time
38    of my decease be due or owing from him to me on any account
39    whatsoever or it being my will and intention that he shall never be
40    sued disquieted or questioned by any person whomsoever respecting any
41    receipts payments or other transactions relative to me or my concerns
42    now in my life time and whereas my late Father William Blake
43    by his Will gave to trustees therein named the sum of three hundred
44    pounds upon trust to invest the same in an annuity for my life and
45    for my use to be secured as therein mentioned but which annuity
46    hath not been purchased and I have hitherto received only commission
47    interest on the said Sum of three hundred pounds which sum
48    and other monies due belonging to me and now in the hands
49    or power of John Marsh now or late of Bath Esq[uire] as one of the
50    Trustees of my said late Fathers Will now I give the said sum
51    of three hundred pounds unto my nephew Henry Marsh son of
52    the said John March subject nevertheless to the payment thereout
53    of all my just debts funeral Expences and the cost of proving this
54    my will upon condition that lawful interest for the said Sum
55    be duly paid to me up to the time of my decease also I give the
56    sum of one hundred pounds to each of my two sisters Rebecca
57    Mogg and Mary Marsh out of the monies due to me as my share of
58    my late Fathers residuary Estate and now in the hands of said John
60    Marsh and as to all the residue remainder of my monies and Estate no herein
61    before disposed of I give the same to the three daughters of the said Mary
62    Marsh equally between them and I do hereby constitute and appoint my
63    said Friend Edward Carter sole Exor of this my will and revoke all former wills
64    by me made and declare this only to be my last In Witness whereof I
65    have hereunto set my hand and seal the day year first above written
66    Clementia Blake Signed sealed published and declared by the said Testatrix
67    Clementia Blake as and for her last will and Testament in the presence of us
68    who in her presence at her request in the presence of each other have
69    subscribed our names as Witnesses thereto P Penton Jno Brady
70    Rd Jones
71    Proved at London 16 Novr 1815 before the Judge by the oath of
72    Edward Carter the sole Exor to whom admon was granted being sworn by
73    Comon to admr

No comments: