Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Will of Reverend William Blake, Clerk of Crewkerne, Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/1321/255, probated 22 Apr 1799

The Reverend William Blake Clerk at Crewkerne is the son of William Blake of Taunton who died in 1772 at Taunton whose will was blogged yesterday.

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/11/will-of-william-blake-of-taunton.html

William, the testator, is also the brother of the Reverend Malachi Blake whose will was blogged earlier:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/10/will-of-malachi-blake-esquire-taunton.html

This is a known collateral line of Admiral Robert Blake


Admiral Robert Blake [101] is the 2nd cousin 4 times removed of Reverend William-161 Blake [537]

                                Common Ancestor

                              * Humphrey-21 Blake [1]
                                  (Cir 1499-1558)
                                    * Agnis [2]
                                 (          -1585)
                                   Married  [1]
                                        |
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    |                                                                    |
                    |                                                                    |
     * John-27 (the elder) Blake [3]              * Robert-28 Blake [4]
          (Cir 1521-After 1576)                        (Cir 1523-Cir 1592)
               Johan [12]                                      Margaret Symonds [22]
            (          -1595)                                          (          -1600)
          Married Cir 1541 [4]                                   Married  [5]
                    |                                                                    |
                    |                                                                    |
         * William-39 Blake [18]                   * Humphry-43 Blake [25]
           (Cir 1559-Cir 1642)                               (Cir 1563-1625)
                Anne [84]                              Sarah Swithers formerly Williams [100]
            (          -1644)                                         (          -1638)
              Married  [21]                                  Married 5 Oct 1597 [26]
                    |                                                                   |
                    |                                                                   |
          * John-59 Blake [88]                           * Admiral Robert Blake [101]
               (1597-1645)                                             (1598-1657)
             Elizabeth [155]
              Married  [38]
                    |
                    |
          * John-86 Blake [158]
               (1629-1682)
           Mary Wilkins [276]
        Married 20 Jun 1648 [84]
                    |
                    |
   * Reverend Malachi-112 Blake [278]
               (1651-1705)
             Mary Mico [414]
             Married  [140]
                    |
                    |
        * William-140 Blake [419]
               (1688-1772)
           Jane A'Court [529]
               (1689-1769)
        Married 21 Oct 1712 [186]
                    |
                    |
   * Reverend William-161 Blake [537]
               (1730-1799)

It is in the will of Malachi Blake that a second daughter is mentioned for William namely Hannah but she must have died between the time of the writing of Malachi’s will and William’s will. Malachi was buried 13 Apr 1795 and the will of William was written 28 May 1795. Possibly the death of his brother spurred on the writing of his own will.

Although this is a lengthy will it mostly deals with William’s own family although he does remember his servants in his will.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 18 Nov 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1321/255
Testator: Reverend William Blake, Clerk
Place: Crewkerne, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 28 May 1795, probated 22 Apr 1799
Condition: 18th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: The Reverend
[Margin]: William
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: Clerk

1    This is the Last Will
2    and Testament of me William Blake of Crewkerne in the
3    County of Somerset Clerk made and published this
4    twenty eighth day of May in the year of Our Lord one
5    thousand seven hundred and ninety five in manner
6    following (that is to say) First I will that all my just debts
7    and Funeral Expences shall be paid and satisfied and
8    I give and bequeath unto my Son Malachi Blake and
9    to his Wife Mary the Sum of fifty pounds a peece to
10    buy their Mourning and I hereby ratify and confirm
11    all and every Surrender and Surrenders that I have
12    lately made to my said Son Malachi of all my Lands
13    Tenements and hereditaments within and parcel of the
14    Manor of Taunton Deane Also I give and bequeath
15    unto my daughter Mary Blake the Sum of One
16    thousand two hundred pounds of lawful Money of
17    Great Britain to be paid her in one year after my
18    decease with Interest at the Rate of four pounds per
19    centum per Annum from my decease and which said
20    Legacy I will shall be paid her over and above the Sum
21    of one hundred pounds given her by her Grand Mother
22    Downings Will and charged on the Estate and Lands
23    called Yatford hereinafter mentioned and for payment
24    of the Said Sum of One thousand two hundred pounds
25    I hereby charge and subject all and every my Lands
26    Tenements and hereditaments residuary Estate and Effects both Real and
27    personal and I do hereby in pursuance and in Exercise
28    of the power and Authority given to and vested in
29    me in and by the last Will and Testament of my late Mother in Law
30    Betty Downing deceased and of all
31    other powers and Authorities whatsoever in thereto
32    enabling give devise and bequeath limit and appoint
33    unto my two Sons William and Downing Blake all
34    that Messuage dwelling house and Tenement and the
35    Outhouses Gardens Orchards Closes Fields hereditaments
36    and
    [Page 2]
37    and premises thereto belonging with the appurtenances called
38    Yatfords and the Reversion and Remainder thereof situate in the
39    parish of Ilminster in the County aforesaid in the occupation
40    of Thomas Jugg as Tenant thereof to hold the same unto and
41    to the use of them my said Sons William and Downing
42    Blake their heirs and assigns for ever as Tenants in
43    Common and not as Joint Tenants charged and chargeable
44    nevertheless in and by the said Will of their Grandmother
45    Downing with the payment of the Sum of one hundred
46    pounds to my said Son Malachi and with the like sum
47    of one hundred pounds to my said daughter on her
48    attaining the age of twenty one years Also I do hereby
49    in pursuance and in exercise of the power and authority
50    given to and vested in me in and by a certain deed of
51    Settlement bearing date on or about the eighth day of
52    August one thousand seven hundred and sixty eight
53    made after my Marriage with Hannah my late Wife
54    and of all other powers and authorities whatsoever me
55    thereto enabling give devise and bequeath limit and
56    appoint unto my said two Sons William and Downing
57    Blake all and every my Messuages dwelling houses
58    Outhouses Gardens Orchards Closes Lands Tenements and
59    hereditaments whatsoever with the appurtenances and
60    as well Freehold as Leasehold and Copyhold now in the
61    occupation of David Symes as Tenant thereof called Rapps
62    situate within the several parishes of Broadway Hilton and
63    Ashill in the County aforesaid or some or one of them
64    and all other my Lands Tenements and hereditaments
65    whatsoever within the said several parishes of Ilminster
66    Broadway Hilton and Ashill To hold the same unto and to
67    the use of my said Sons William and Downing Blake their
68    heirs Executors Administrators and Assigns according to the
69    Tenures- and natures of the said premises respectively as
70    Tenants in Common and not as Joint Tenants and I give and
71    bequeath unto my said two Sons William and Downing
72    and to my daughter Mary all my household Goods
73    and Furniture plate China and Books equally to be
74    divided between them Share and Share alike all the rest and
75    residue of my Messuages Lands Tenements and heredit[ament]s
76    whatsoever and wheresoever and Also all the rest and
77    residue of my Monies and Securities for Money Mortgages
78    in Fee and other Mortgages debts sum and Sums of Money
79    personal Estate and Effects whatsoever I give devise and
80    bequeath the same and every part thereof unto my
81    said two Sons William and Downing Blake their heirs
82    Executors Administrators and Assigns equally to be divided
83    between them as Tenants in Common and not as Joint
84    Tenants to and for their own proper use and benefit but
85    charged and chargeable nevertheless with the said sum of
    [Page 3]
86    one thousand two hundred pounds to my said daughter Mary
87    as aforesaid) and lastly I do hereby make and appoint my
88    said two Sons William and Downing Blake to be joint
89    Executors of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking
90    and making void all former and other wills by me made
91    In witness whereof I the said William Blake the Testator
92    have to ev[er]ie Sheet of this my last Will and Testament
93    contained in two Sheets of paper set my hand and Seal the
94    day and year first above written W[illia]m Blake Signed Sealed
95    published and declared by the said William Blake the
96    Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the
97    presence of us who have hereunto at his request in his
98    presence and in the presence of each other subscribed our
99    Names as witnesses hereto Samuel Sparks Joseph Kennaway
100    Isaac Sparks
101    I annex this as a Codicil to my last Will and Testament I
102    give to Susanna Morgan if she lives with me at the time of
103    my death the Sum of thirty pounds besides Mourning and it
104    is my Will that my Executors pay her the thirty pounds
105    within six Months after my decease besides any wages that
106    may be due to her at the time of my decease I give to
107    Joseph Mumford two Guineas and a Sack of my cloathes
108    and I give one Guinea to Sarah Stembridge the Wife of
109    John Stembridge and three of my old Shirts Witness my
110    hand this 29th of May 1795 W[ilia]m Blake
111    Whereas I have by my last Will and Testament
112    dated the twenty eighth day of May one thousand seven
113    hundred and ninety five given and bequeath the Sum of
114    one thousand two hundred pounds unto my daughter
115    Mary Blake and for payment thereof charged all my
116    Lands Tenements hereditaments residuary Estate and effects
117    both Real and personal and I do by this Codicil which I
118    direct Shall be added to and taken as part of my said last
119    Will and Testament annul revoke and make void the Sum
120    of one thousand pounds part of the said Legacy and do
121    direct that the remaining Sum of two hundred pounds
122    which I give and confirm to her shall not be paid or
123    payable to my said daughter until the expiration of three
124    years after my decease and paid without Interest and in
125    lieu of the said Sum of one thousand pounds hereby revoked
126    I give and bequeath to my said daughter Mary the Sum of
127    one thousand two hundred pounds stock which I have
128    in the three per cent Consolidated Annuities and
129    also the Sum of two hundred pounds which I have in
130    the four percent Annuities and do order the Executors of my
131    said Will to transfer the same to her immediately after my
    [Page 4]
132    death but should I not have so much Stock as aforesaid at my
133    death then I direct my Executors to purchase so much as shall be
134    deficient of the said Stocks respectively and to transfer the same to
135    my said daughter who it is my Will shall be at the Expence of
136    buying Mourning for my Servant Susanna and not my
137    Executors and I do hereby confirm my said Will and this a
138    Codicil indorsed herein in every other respect In witness
139    whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal the sixth
140    day of March one thousand seven hundred and ninety nine
141    Wm Blake Signed Sealed published and declared by
142    the said William Blake as and for a Codicil to his last will
143    and Testament in the presence of us who have hereunder
144    subscribed our names in the presence of the said William Blake
145    Samuel Sparks Joseph Kennaway Isaac Sparks
146    This Will was proved at London with two Codicils
147    the twenty second day of April in the year of Our Lord one
148    thousand Seven hundred and ninety nine before the Right
149    Honourable Sir William Wynne Knight Doctor of Laws Master
150    keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
151    lawfully Constituted by the Oaths of William Blake and
152    Downing Blake the Sons of the deceased and Executors named
153    in the said Will to whom Administration was granted of all
154    and singular the Goods Chattles and Credits of the said
155    deceased having been first Sworn by Commission duly to administer

No comments: