Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Will of Humfrey Blake, Gentleman, Over Stowey, Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/318/714, probated 22 Dec 1665

The testator, Humphrey Blake, is of Over Stowey and one of the collateral lines related to Admiral Robert Blake. He was baptized possibly 24 Nov 1611 at Over Stowey (information from the Portbury Admiral Blake website (http://www.portbury-hundred.co.uk/admiralreport.htm) . The parish registers of Overstowey no longer exist in this earlier time period although there are some bishops transcripts and perhaps the dates are from there. Eventually I hope to have a look at them.

Humphrey, the testator, was the son of Humphrey Blake and Elizabeth Giles but again the parish registers do not give their marriage date at Over Stowey if they were married there. He was one of five children namely:

1.    John died 1696 (by the above website) and married to Elizabeth
2.    Humphrey baptized 24 Nov 1611 (by the above website), married to Elizabeth Upton and buried 14 Jun 1665 at Aisholt, Somerset (Elizabeth was buried 5 Apr 1683 at Aisholt)
3.    Arthur baptized June 1619 at Over Stowey, married to Jane Tomms and his will was blogged: http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/09/will-of-arthur-blake-gentleman-of.html  and he died before 16 Jun 1653 date of probate of his will. Arthur and Jane had two children Elizabeth and Mary both under 21 in 1653. Brother of the present testator.
4.    Richard baptized 6 Dec 1629 at Over Stowey and died by 1658 (according to the website of portbury-hundred above) as his brother Humphrey mentions that he has died at the time of the writing of his will as further proof.
5.    Elizabeth born circa 1621 at Over Stowey and buried 10 May 1621 at Over Stowey

Humphrey, the testator, was married to Elizabeth Upton but the earliest marriages begin in 1654 with Phillimore’s Marriage Registers. Their first child was likely born before 1640 so not available online. Elizabeth Blake does appear on the burial registers as a widow buried 5 Apr 1683 but no age given. Humphrey and Elizabeth had nine children but the baptismal registers do not begin until 1680.

1.    Humphrey Blake buried 27 Sep 1664 at Aisholt
2.    Catherine Blake baptized 1 Jun 1640 (portbury-admiralblake site), possibly dead by 1664 as not mentioned in will
3.    John (mentioned in will below) baptized 17 Nov 1641 and dead by 1696  and married to Elizabeth Farthing (mentioned in will below) 1 Jan 1663 and they had four children: Dorothy (mentioned in will below), Dorothy Humphrey, John and Betty (portbury-admiralblake site)
4.    (Reverend) Nathaniel (mentioned in will below) baptized Jun 1645 at Plainfield, Over Stowey (portbury-admiralblake site), married to Sarah Blanchflower 7 Feb 1672 at Fitzhead, Somerset and buried 17 Nov 1705 at Aisholt. They had three children Nathaniel died young, John died young and Katherine baptized 14 Mar 1688 at Aisholt.
5.    Arthur (mentioned in will below) baptized 14 Jun 1650 (portbury admiral blake site) children are also listed on this site namely Arthur, Edmund, Nathaniel and Katherine.
6.    Roger (mentioned in will below) circa born 1651 and married to Susannah Taylor circa 1672 and buried 24 Jul 1702 at Aisholt and he was the common ancestor of Hester Blake and Robert Blake mentioned in the will of Hester Blake blogged a few days ago. They had 11 children and the first entry in the extant parish registers at Aisholt have Sarah Blake daughter of Roger and Susanna baptized 12 Apr 1680 lending credence to the thought that the older children may have also been baptized at Aisholt.
7.    Elizabeth (mentioned in will below) baptized 5 Jun 1653 (portbury admiralblake site); buried 28 Aug 1671 at Aisholt
8.    Robert (mentioned in the will of his father)
9.    Mary (mentioned in the will of his father)

Always nice to be able to locate family lines for the testators in these wills for the Blake family of Somerset. There are a huge number of collateral lines to Admiral Robert Blake.

As mentioned the testator Humphrey was the son of Humphrey Blake and Elizabeth Giles. This Humphrey was then the son of Humphrey Blake and Agnus/Ann James who married at Over Stowey 23 Oct 1578 and then this Humphrey son of John Blake the elder who was a brother to Robert Blake the grandfather of Admiral Robert Blake.

Admiral Robert Blake [101] is the 2nd cousin once removed of Humphry-77 the elder Blake [131]

                                Common Ancestor

                              * Humphrey-21 Blake [1]
                                  (Cir 1499-1558)
                                    * Agnis [2]
                                 (          -1585)
                                   Married  [1]
                                        |
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    |                                                             |
                    |                                                             |
     * John-27 (the elder) Blake [3]              * Robert-28 Blake [4]
          (Cir 1521-After 1576)                    (Cir 1523-Cir 1592)
               Johan [12]                         Margaret Symonds [22]
            (          -1595)                       (          -1600)
          Married Cir 1541 [4]                        Married  [5]
                    |                                                           |
                    |                                                           |
        * Humphrey-38 Blake [16]                 * Humphry-43 Blake [25]
           (Cir 1556-Cir 1619)                       (Cir 1563-1625)
          Agnus/Ann James [73]           Sarah Swithers formerly Williams [100]
            (          -1645)                       (          -1638)
        Married 23 Oct 1578 [19]                 Married 5 Oct 1597 [26]
                    |                                                          |
                    |                                                          |
         * Humphry-54 Blake [74]              * Admiral Robert Blake [101]
          (Cir 1580-          )                        (1598-1657)
          Elizabeth Giles [129]
              Married  [33]
                    |
                    |
   * Humphry-77 the elder Blake [131]
               (1611-1665)

Names mentioned in the will (all children under 21 except John the eldest):
Humphrey Blake, Plainfield, Over Stowey, Somerset, testator
John Blake, son
Nathaniel Blake, son
Arthur Blake, son
Roger Blake, son
Elizabeth Blake, daughter
Robert Slocombe, the elder, Plainfield, Over Stowey, Somerset
Elizabeth Blake, wife of John, son of Humphrey
Dorothy Blake, grand daughter, daughter of John and Elizabeth
Elizabeth Blake, wife of testator, executrix
John Sellock, Nether Stowey, Doctor of Divinity, overseer
John Pratt, Thurloxton, overseer
John Upton, Fitzhead, gentleman, overseer
Joseph Cooke, witness
Edward Slade, witness
Johane Vicarie, witness
J Pratt, witness

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 5 Oct 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/318/714
Testator: Humfrey Blake, Gentleman
Place: Over Stowey, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 17 Jan 1664, probated 22 Dec 1665
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Humfrus
[Margin]: Blake

1    In The Name of God Amen
2    the seaventeenth day of January in the yeare of our Lord God one Thousand
3    Six hundred Sixty and fower And in the Sixteenth yeare of the Raigne
4    of our Soveraigne Lord Charles the Second by the grace of God of
5    England Scotland, France and Ireland King defender of the Faith etc I
6    Humfrey Blake of Plainesfeild in the parish of Over Stowey in the County
7    of Somersett gentleman being weake of body but of good and perfect mind and
8    remembrance revokeing all former will and Testaments heretofore by mee made
9    doe
    [Page 2]
10    Doe make and ordaine this to bee my last will and Testament in manner
11    and forme following First I bequeath my soule into the hands of Almighty
12    God my maker assureing my selfe of eternall salvation through the death
13    and merits of Jesus Christ my Redeemer And for my body my will is
14    that it be decently buried with confidence that the same shall att the last
15    day rise againe unto eternall glory And as concerning my Temporall
16    Estate which God hath sent me I doe bequeath it in manner following
17    Imprimis I give unto the poore people of Over Stowey Twenty Shillings
18    and alsoe to the poore people of Aisholt Tenn shillings to be distributed
19    among them by my Executrix herein after named within one moneth
20    after my death Item I give and bequeath unto my sonne John Blake
21    my drinking Jugge which hath its mouth Tipt and coated with Silver
22    and is Footed with the same Item I give and bequeath unto my sonne
23    Nathaniell Blake the Advowson donation free disposition and Right of Patronage of the
24    Rectory and parish Church of Aisholt in the County of Somersett with all
25    the Rights profits members and appurten[an]cs whatsoever thereunto belong-
26    ing and apperteyning Together with all deeds writings and Evidences
27    concerning the Same To have and to hold the premises unto the said
28    Nathaniell Blake his heires and assignes for ever Item I give and bequeath
29    unto my said sonne Nathaniell Blake An Annuity of Thirty pounds per
30    Annum To be paid unto him by myne Executrix hereinafter named Quarterly
31    by even and equall por[t]ions in every yeare from and after my decease until
32    the end of one whole yeare next after the said Rectory of the said parish Church
33    of Aisholt shall First and next happen to be void And if the saide Rectory shall happen to bee voide before the said Nathaniell
34    shall accomplish his age of one and Twenty yeares Then I doe give full
35    power and authority unto my Overseers herein after named to dispose of the
36    said Rectory to the behoofe and best benefit of him the said Nathaniell Blake
37    Provided always That the said Nathaniell Blake when he hath accom-
38    plished his Age of one and Twenty yeares shall acquit and release myne
39    Executrix of all such Legacies as I have reserved for the use and behoofe of
40    him the said Nathaniell Blake Item I give and bequeath unto my
41    sonne Arthur Blake An Annuity of Tenn pounds per Annum to be paid
42    unto him by myne Executrix Quarterly by even and equall por[t]ions in
43    every yeare after hee hath accomplished his age of one and Twenty yeares
44    for and dureing his natural life Provided always That the said
45    Arthur Blake when hee hath accomplished his age of one and Twenty
y    Yeares shall acquit and release myne Executrix of and from all such
47    legacies As I have reserved for the use and behoofe of him the said Arthur
48    Blake Provided After that the said Arthur Blake Shall at his said age
49    of one and Twenty yeares acquit release and discharge myne Executrix of
50    and from all accompts claymes and demands which hee the said
51    Arthur Blake may then clayme demand or require of myne Executrix
52    by reason or cause or by pretence or Colour of any reason or cause of the
53    issues and proffetts of a certaine Tenement lying in Charlinch late in the
54    tenure and occupation of my brother Richard Blake deceased which I have
55    receivd since the decease of the said Richard Blake Item I give and bequeath
56    unto my sonne Roger Blake an annuity of Tenn pounds per Annum to be
57    paid unto him by my Executrix out of the rents issues and profits of my Tenement
58    in Lower Aisholt which I bought of Edward Huish of Donyford Esquire
59    the said Annuity to be paid unto him the said Roger Blake quarterly be even
60    and equall por[t]ions in every yeare from and after my decease until the
61    said Roger Blake shall attaine unto his full age of one and Twenty yeares
62    and
    [Page 2]
63    and further my will is that the said Roger Blake soe soone as hee shall
64    have accomplished his age of one and Twenty yeares shall receive possess and
65    enjoy All the issues and proffitts of the said Tenement for and dureing the whole
66    Terme I have therein which shall then be to come and unexpired Provided
67    always that the said Roger Blake when he hath accomplished his age of one
68    and Twenty yeares shall acquit and release my Executrix of all such Legacies
69    as I have recerved for the use and behoofe of him the said Roger Blake Item
70    I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Elizabeth Blake Three hundred
71    pounds of lawfull money of England To be paid unto her by my Executrix in
72    manner following (viz[ a vi]) That is to say one hundred and Fifty pounds thereof to
73    be paid to her my said daughter Elizabeth Blake within Five yeares next
74    after the decease of Robert Slocombe the Elder of PlainFeild in the parish
75    of Over Stowey aforesaid And the other hundred and Fifty pounds thereof to
76    be paid unto her when shee shall accomplish her age of one and Twenty yeares
77    and further my will is That my Executrix shall pay unto my said daughter
78    Elizabeth Blake ten pounds per Annum Quarterly by equall por[t]ions in every
79    yeare after my decease for and towards her maintenance until shee shall
80    accomplish her age of one and Twenty yeares or until the Expira[t]ion of Five
81    yeares after the decease of the said Robert Slocombe if it shall  happen before
82    the accomplishment of her said Age Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter
83    Mary Blake my Silver Tankard Item I give and bequeath unto my said daughter
84    Mary Blake Three hundred pounds of lawfull money of England to be paid to her
85    by my Executrix in manner following (viz[ a vi]t) That is to say one hundred and Fifty
86    pounds thereof to be paid unto her my said daughter Mary Blake within Five yeares
87    next after the decease of the aforesaid Robert Slocombe And the other hundred
88    and Fifty pounds thereof to be paid unto her when she shall accomplish her
89    age of one and Twenty yeares And further my will is that my Executrix shall
90    pay onto my said daughter Mary Blake Tenn pounds per Annum Quarterly by
91    equall portions in every yeare after my decease for and towards her maintenance
92    until shee shall accomplish her age of one and Twenty yeares or until the expi-
93    ra[t]ion of Five yeares after the decease of the said Robert Slocombe if it shall
94    happen before the accomplishment of her said age And if it shall happen
95    that either of my said daughters Shall dye before any or either of the dayes
96    hereby lymtted and appointed for the payment of her portion of Three hundred
97    pounds Then my will is That the said por[t]ion as that part thereof which
98    shall not become due unto her att the tyme of her decease shall red___d unto
99    that my other daughter which shall survive the same for deceased  Item I
100    give unto Elizabeth the now wife of my sonne John Blake one peece of Gold
101    of Twenty shillings Item I give unto Dorothy the daughter of my said Sonne
102    John Blake one Peece of Gold of Twenty shillings which said Two peeces of
103    Gold shalbe bestowed by the said Elizabeth to buy them a Ring a peece Item
104    I give and bequeath unto my Auntcient servant Richard Hurte one Suite of
105    my weareing apparel All the rest and residue of my goods Chattells and
106    Creditts not herein given nor bequeathed my debts being paid Legacies performed
107    and funeral expences defrayed I give and bequeath unto Elizabeth Blake my
108    now wife whom I make sole Executrix of this my last will and testament And
109    I entreat my welbeloved Friends John Sellock of Nether Stowey Doctor of
110    Divinity John Pratt of Thurloxton and John Upton of Fitzhead gentleman
111    to be overseers of this my last Will and Testament reposeing trust and confi-
112    dence in them to see the same effectually performed according to the true intent and
113    meaneing of this my present last will and Testament In Witnes whereof I
114    have hereunto sett my hand and Seale the day and yeare First above written
115    Humfrie
    [Page 3]
116    Humfrie Blake Signed sealed published and declared to be the last
117    will and Testament of the within named Humfrus Blake Those words (Thirty
118    for and dureing his natural life) being first interlined in the presence of us
119    Joseph Cooke The marke of Edward Slade The marke of Joane Vicarie
120    A Codicill annexed to this my last Will and Testament Whereas I have
121    given and bequeathed unto my sonne Arthur Blake one Annuity of Tenn pounds
122    per Annum for and dureing the terme of his natural life Now my will and
123    meaning is That the said Annuity shall continue payable unto him until such
124    tyme as hee shall attaine unto the age of Twenty and Five yeares and noe longer
125    and then my will is and meaning And I doe hereby farther give devise and
126    bequeath unto him the above named Arthur Blake the summe of Two hundred
127    pounds to be paid unto him by my said Executrix att such his age of Twenty
128    Five yeares For and in Lieu of Such Annuity Test: J Pratt

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Elizabeth, I found your site while searching Blake. You have done a lot of work here, thank you. What I see is dated 2013, since then Ancestry has added archives from Somerset by
Parish Register. For Overstowey there is a 38 page file for years 1531-1644 that is loaded with Blake birth, marriage and death records. It's old and hard to read sometimes, but full
of valuable info. My Grandfather is a Thomas Black from Chicago, by way of Indiana, Ohio, Virginia, Belfast Ireland, England and Scotland. If you haven't seen Somerset Records check
ancestry.com
Somerset, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1531-1812
Good luck and hope this helps.
Regards, Jim