Saturday, October 5, 2013

Will of George Blake, Plumber and Glazier, Walcot (Bath), Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/1753/434, probated 3 Apr 1829

George Blake married to Hester is the testator. They are living in Bath (Walcot is a parish). There is a freely searchable database for BMD 1837 to the present for Bath and area and there are 375 Blake marriages I have discovered (1837 to the present). However this marriage will be prior to 1829. This will be a good site to visit when I am working on the Somerset marriages from 1837 to 1911. There are also births and deaths from 1837 to the present.

http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi

The marriage is on Find my past and it was celebrated 27 Aug 1798 at Walcot St Mary’s Chapel and both are of the parish with his wife being named Esther Miller.

I did find in the 1881 census an Edward Blake, retired plumber born at Walcot Bath and 76 years of age (born circa 1805). Also a George Blake (born circa 1827 at Bath Walcot) also a plumber 54 years of age on the 1881 census. Is this the family of George and Hester?

On the 1841 Census at St Saviour Walcot Bath I found an Edward Blake with his wife Elizabeth and children George 15, Thomas 13, Henry 9, Frederick 7 and Elizabeth 2. No sign of Hester there. But I could not find her on the census in Somerset in 1841. Edward is a Plumber. On the 1851 Census same place Edward and Elizabeth with George 24, Thomas 23, Henry 19, Frederick 17 and Elizabeth 11. All males are plumbers and all born in Bath except his wife Elizabeth.

There must have been more children though as George, the testator, mentions the possibility of minors.

Also is this George related to the George Blake in yesterday’s will., That George was a Grocer.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 3 Oct 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1753/434
Testator: George Blake, Plumber and Glazier
Place: Walcot, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 15 Jun 1827, probated 3 Apr 1829
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: George
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 4

1    This is the Last Will and Testament
2    of me George Blake of the parish of Walcot in the County of Somerset Plumber and
3    Glazier First I direct all my just debts funeral and testamentary Expences to be paid and
4    satisfied and subject thereto I give and bequeath All and singular my estate and effects
5    whatsoever and wheresoever and of what nature or kind soever which I shall die
6    possessed of or interested in at the time of my decease unto my dear Wife Hester Blake
7    for and during the term of her natural life she my said Wife maintaining and
8    breading up all my children who shall be minors at my decease And from and after
9    the decease of my said Wife Then I give and bequeath all and singular my said
10    estate and effects whatsoever and wheresoever unto and equally between all
11    and every my children their executors and administrators share and share alike and
12    I nominate and appoint my said Wife sole Executrix of this my Will In Witness
13    whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this fifteenth day of June in the year
14    of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty seven The Mark and Seal
15    of George Blake the Testator Signed Sealed published and declared by the said
16    George Blake the Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of u
17    who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereto subscribed
18    our names as Witnesses W B Lidiard Rich[ar]d Chaffin William Snellgrove
19    All of Bath
20    Proved at London 3rd April 1829 before the Judge by the Oath of Hester Blake
21    widow the Relict the sole Ex[ecu]trix to whom Admon was granted having been first sworn
22    by Com[missi]on duly to adm[iniste]r the s[ai]d Ex[ecu]trix having first retracted the nomination by her
23    formerly made.

No comments: