Sunday, October 28, 2012

Will of Marmaduke Blake, Yeoman of Porton, Idmiston - The National Archives PROB 11/122/137, probated 10 Aug 1613

Marmaduke Blake is the testator in this current will and his will was probated 10 Aug 1613. I have mentioned Marmaduke Blake in an earlier blog because this name was listed in the Hampshire Record Office catalogue:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2012/10/will-of-augustine-blake-yeoman.html

Inventory of Marmaduke Blake, parish not given, 1581 ADE /07  probated 1581 so is perhaps a relative of the current testator. I was mistaken in thinking I had the will of this individual rather I have this one for Marmaduke in Wiltshire and 1613. There is also a will held by the Swindon and Wiltshire Record office probated 1611 P2/B/320 and labeled Marmaduke Blake, Yeoman at Idmiston (not yet scanned and available for purchase). Given that this will was initially written in 1611 it perhaps went to the lower court first and because it overlapped Ecclesiastical lower courts was moved to the PCC.

Porton Wiltshire is a chapelry in the parish of Idmiston, hundred of Alderbury about 6 miles NE of Salisbury. Porton is 7 miles ENE of South Newton and nine miles NW of Lockerley Hampshire and interestingly enough 12 miles WSW of Upper Clatford. Until I came across the forename Marmaduke at Lockerley in the wills list I had never seen this forename in the Blake family.

There was a Marmaduke Blake baptized 21 May 1629 at Idmiston Wiltshire son of William Blake (C15211-1 Family Search) and 21 Jun 1688 at Idmiston Wiltshire son of John and Martha Blake (C15211-1 Family Search). 

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 25 Oct 2012
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/122/137
Name of testator: Marmaduke Blake, yeoman
Place: Porton, Wiltshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Dated  probated 15 Oct 1611, 10 Aug 1613
Read: Electronic file images
Condition: bold script text, middle English writing, 17th century
[In margin] T [estator] Marmaduci
[In margin] Blake

1    In the name of God Amen the xvth daye of October in
2    the Nynth yeare of the Reigne of our sovereigne Lord James the kinge ma[jes]tie that now is etc
3    I Marmaduke Blake of Porton in the countie of Wilts yeoman being sick of body but
4    of good and p[er]fect memorie thanks be geven to Allmightie God doe make and ordayne
5    this my last will and Testament in manner and forme followinge First I geve and bequeath
6    my soule unto Allmightie God  my maker and Redeemer and my body to be buried in the
7    church of Idmiston, It[e]m I geve and bequeath unto the poore of the parishe of Idmiston
8    foresaid ij s of lawfull English money to be paid unto them by myne executor at the tyme
9    of my Buriall It[e]m I geve and bequeath unto Will[ia]m Blake the sonne of me Marmaduke
10    Blake the somme of six pounds of lawfull English money to be paid unto him at the age of
11    xxi th yeares It[e]m I give and bequeath unto Elizabeth Blake the daughter of me the said
12    Marmaduke Blake the somme of six pounds of like lawfull English money to be paid unto
13    her at the age of xviij yeares or at the daye of Marriage. It[e]m more I give and bequeath
14    unto the said Will[ia]m Blake my sonne one brasse pann that was my Fathers pann to be
15    delivered at the age of xxi th yeares, It[e]m I give also and bequeath more unto my said daugh
16    ter Elizabeth Blake one brasse pann that is her mothers pann to be delivered unto her
17    at the age of xviij yeares or at her said days of marriage. The Residue of all my goods
18    and Chattells not yet given nor bequeathed I doe give and bequeath unto Elizabeth
19    Blake my wiefe whome I doe make my whole and sole Executrix of this my last
20    Will and Testament And to see all my debts and legacies payd according unto this my
21    last will and Testament And I doe ordayne and appointe to be my overseers of this
22    my said last will and Testament my trustie and welbeloved frends Will[ia]m Bedford of
23    Alderburie and Nicholas Rutter of Porton. In witnes whereof I have here unto sett
24    my hand and seale Upon the daye moneth and yeare first above written. The marke
25    of Marmaduke Blake. Signed sealed and delivered in the p[rese]nts of us subscribed
26    Richard Griffith, Nicholas Rutter, Will[ia]m Bedford m[ar]ke, p me Phillippen Pyne

No comments: