Saturday, April 28, 2012

Will of William Blake of Coggs, Oxfordshire, National Archives PROB 11/429, Image Reference 572/686 and 572/687, probated 4 Dec 1695

This William Blake I can fill in his line back to the Wiltshire Blake family from the chart at Swindon and Wiltshire Record Office. He names his siblings making it easy to locate him and the extra information he includes provides a well rounded picture of this Blake line. A real treat for the Blake study would be someone testing yDNA from this line. Because my father was born in England and I can trace his line back a long way I can perhaps better understand why people in England (or even Europe perhaps) feel less inclined to test their DNA than people in Canada and the United States. Americans are particularly into testing their DNA. But for those of us who know our ancestry the incentive to test comes from a desire to know your deep ancestry. How did my line get to Britain following the last ice age? How large a group are they now? Those are the questions that drove my testing my brother and myself to look at the deep ancestry of both our maternal and paternal lines and lately I have tested both of us for Family Finder. I have an amazing number of matches that are American and in many cases have been able to say to people who write that they could be looking at their Ellis family being from Dorset and other such neat items!

However this particular will is about William Blake whose charities left in 1695 funded three schools and helped children in his area to attain a better life. What a marvelous thing he did in leaving such a protected charity to endow these schools forever. In particular he set aside the following estate to be used to fund the schools and even in 1909 when the estate was sold it was still charged with the Blake charity annuities.


Shield Farm Estate (Alvescote)
 (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=2067)
An inclosed estate of some 136 a., chiefly former demesne north of Alvescot village, was sold by Charles Trinder in 1653 to Thomas Hales and his wife Katherine (Ashcombe), evidently reserving 8s. 6d. quitrent. Hales sold the estate in 1658 to John Wheeler of Minster Lovell, who before 1664 built for it a 'fair mansion house', later called Shield or Shill Farm. (fn. 79) In 1671 Wheeler settled both house and estate on his son John, who in 1673 sold them to William Blake of Cogges; Daniel Blake sold them in 1725, charged with charitable annuities, to Simon Harcourt, Viscount Harcourt, whose descendant the Revd William Vernon Harcourt sold them in 1867 to John Nalder of Alvescot. Nalder's executors sold the estate, still charged with the Blake charity annuities, in 1909.


William Blake, by will proved 1695, left a £12 rent-charge on his estates at Alvescot, to pay two schoolmistresses to teach in the schools which he had built at High Cogges and Newland. There was a rent-free house and garden for each mistress, who was to be a protestant and who was to teach reading, the catechism, sewing, and knitting. Each school was to have 12 boys and 12 girls aged 6-9 years. Blake also left £1 10s. a year for the upkeep of the schools, and £5 a year for boys leaving school to be taught writing by a master at Witney; £20 a year was left for buying books and clothing for the schoolchildren. If there were not enough poor children in Cogges and Newland, places could be given to children from neighbouring parishes.


In 1857 the Blake schools trust, which also included a school at Witney, was reorganized. The Witney school was sold and the proceeds devoted to enlarging and improving the school at Newland, which became the main school in the parish, although the High Cogges school continued. In 1860 the Blake schools were vested in the official trustee of charity lands, but the former trustees remained governors; the Newland school received its first government grant in 1862. The salaries of the Witney schoolmistress and of the master who taught the older boys writing were added to the Newland school endowment. There were no more free pupils; children of labourers paid 4s. a year and those of farmers and tradesmen 8s. Clothing was henceforth given only as a reward for good work and conduct. The school was taught by one certificated teacher and had an average attendance of 40.


In 1933 Blake's school at Cogges was reorganized as a junior school with 63 pupils; senior children went to Witney. In 1955 there were 80 children, divided into three classes by screens in the one large room; there was only one other small room and bucket sanitation. A new school was built on the new housing estate south of Cogges village in 1983, when there were 175 children on the register.

Looking at the ancestry of William Blake and he mentions that he was the son of Sir Francis Blake also of Coggs. The chart names him as Francis Blake of Highgate in County Middlesex Esquire 4th son living in 1690 aged 80 years and married to Catherine daughter of Sir Valentine Brown of Crofte in Lincoln County Knight. His second wife was Mary the daughter of Sir Anthony Cope of Hanwell in Oxford County Baronet. The three children mentioned in the will were all children of Catherine (Eleanor Briscoe his sister (married to Elisha Briscoe of London), William (testator) and Sir Francis his brother).
Sir Francis (father of the testator) was fourth son of Thomas Blake and Eleanor Hall whose children included Thomas (eldest son) who married Dorothy Maio, Eleanor who married John Stacy, Robert Blake who married Joane Pyle, Arthur Blake (wife unknown), Francis (4th son above), William married to Margaret Fountain, and Richard married to Elizabeth Bathurst.

Thomas Blake (married to Eleanor Hall) was the son of John Blake and Margaret Blake. At this point I have a problem with the chart which has been produced from the Visitations and other information. I believe that Margaret is the daughter of William Blake and Avice Ripley and John is the son of William Blake and Elizabeth (unknown) and both Williams lived at Eastontown, near Andover Hampshire.
William Blake married to Avice Ripley is said to be a son of Roger Blake and Mary Baynard (Roger does not list him in  his will but then he only mentions his eldest son and youngest daughter) and this couple had seven children.

William Blake married to Elizabeth (unknown) is a son of Nicholas Blake and Margaret (unknown) who lived at Enham. Nicholas left his will in 1547 and William in 1582 naming their children.
Emanuel Blake is a bit of a mystery. Although I do find his marriage to Amey Bellinger 18 Apr 1682 at Saint Olave, Old Jewry, London England and the baptism of their daughter Sarah 4 Mar 1688 Saint Paul Covent Garden, Westminster, London, England. 


Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 26 Apr 2012
Source:  The National Archives PROB 11/429, Image Reference 572/686 and 572/687  (images by me)
Name of testator: William Blake Esquire of Coggs, Oxfordshire
Place: Coggs, Oxfordshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 6 Apr 1693, probated 4 Dec 1695
Read: Electronic file
Condition: well formed letters, 17th century, light copy

[In margin] Tm Willimi
[In margin] Blake

1    In the name of God Amen
2    I William Blake of Coggs in the County of Oxon Esq[ui]re being of good
3    health blessed be God yet upon the account and considera[t]io[n] of my
4    mortallity doe this sixth day of Aprill in the first yeare of the Reigne of
5    William and Mary by the grace of God of England Scotland France and
6    Ireland King and Queen defenders of the Faith e[t]c Anno D[omin]i one thousand six
7    hundred ninety three make this my last Will and Testament in manner and
8    forme following that is to say Imprimis I give and bequeath my Soul unto
9    Almighty God hopeing throughe alone merrits of my blessed Saviour and
10    Redeemer Jesus Christ to obtaine everlasting life and my body to be
11    buryed with all convenient privacy near my sonn in the Church of Coggs
12    aforesaid in the Isle by me paved and repaired and now for the setling of the
13    estate which it hath pleased God farr above my deserts to bestow upon me
14    I doe order give and dispose of the same in manner and forme following that
15    is to say First I will that all those debts and duties which I shall owe in
16    Law right or conscience to any person or persons whatsoever at the time
17    of my decease and my Funeral charges and expences shall be paid within
18    convenient time after my decease by my Executors in trust hereafter in these
19    presents named and appointed. Item I give and bequeath the summe of twenty
20    five pounds to be laid out in gold mourning rings each of them of tenn
21    shillings vallue by my said Executors and by them to be distributed to gentleman
22    of my acquaintance in the neighbourhood of Coggs aforesaid to Rela[t]ions
23    and friends of my acquaintance in the county and in the citty of London and
24    West[minste]r within convenient time after my decease and to such persons as are
25    here in after named to each of them a ring to the vallue men[t]ioned over and
26    above the said five and twenty pounds. Item I will and bequeath the sev[er]all
27    summes next herein alsoe men[t]ioned to the persons hereinafter named to buy
28    them mourning viz [a vi]t to my brother Sir Francis Blake the summe of tenn
29    pounds and to Elizabeth his wife the summe of tenn pounds To my Uncle
30    Mr. William Blake the summe of eight pounds to my cozen Daniell Blake
31    sonn of the said William Blake a ring of twenty shillings vallue to Mr.
32    Emanuell Blake late Woollen Draper the summe of eight pounds and to
33    Amy his wife the summe of eight pounds And I further give and bequeath
34    unto the said Sir Francis Blake for ever the debt oweing me by the Late King
35    Charles the second in the Exchequer being two hundred pounds with the
36    Interest and arreares thereof which shall be due at the time of my decease
37    alsoe the writings of assignes and securitys concerning the said debt now in the
38    hands of my nephew John Biscoe Item I will and bequeath unto my
39    beloved wife Sarah over and above her Jointure or Dower of three hundred
40    and fifty pounds per ann[um] already setled and hereby confirmed by me upon
41    her
    [Page 2]
42    her out of Coggs and the moiety of the Mansion house of Coggs afores[ai]d
43    for and during her naturall life the summe of one hundred pounds to buy
44    her mourning her maid coachman footboy and butler and to other my
45    servants if she thinks fitting and the hangings chaires stooles tables bedds
46    bedding bedstead and screane and other the furniture of the Lodging Chamber
47    over the hall in my said Mansion house at Coggs which shall be as usually
48    there alsoe my small Iapan Cabinet and my Sandall Cabinet and my dressing
49    box my looking glasse and my sonns picture usually being in the said chamber
50    alsoe the bedd bedding beddstead chaire table and Andirons which shall
51    be at the time of decease in the garret chamber over my lodgeing chamber
52    alsoe her wedding ring set with a diamond and one pair of gold brassletts
53    filled with perfume and one gold chain necklace and my small gold watch
54    with a gold studded case and the small gold chain belonging to it together
55    with all her owne and my weareing apparrell whatever and the Trunks and
56    Chists in which they are commonly kept I further give and bequeath to my
57    said wife to the amount of fifty pounds of what ever my other goods and
58    moveables householdstuff and furniture which shall be in my said Mansion
59    house at the time of my decease if my said wife shall desire it such as she
60    shall choose but to noe greater amount. Item I give and bequeath unto the
61    said John Biscoe one hundred and fifty pounds and for the trouble I have
62    given unto  him about my businesse the further summe of one hundred pounds
63    to my nephew Joseph Biscoe one hundred and fifty pounds And to my
64    nephew Francis Biscoe one hundred pounds to be paid to each of them
65    respectively within a yeare after my decease and in case either of them
66    the said Joseph and Francis shall happen to dye before their Legacyes
67    shall be paid then the Legacy of him soe dyeing shall remaine and be
68    to the survivor Item I give and bequeath unto my Neece Elleanor
69    Biscoe besides the one hundred pounds to her already given the summe
70    of one hundred and fifty pounds if soe much by me be not given her in
71    my life time upon marriage and in case of her death before payment thereof
72    then to her issue if any and if she dye without issue before payment thereof
73    then the said Legacy to cease Item I give and bequeath unto my said
74    brother John Bellinger eight pounds to buy mourning Item I give and
75    bequeath unto my Nephew John Harris a ring of twenty shillings vallue
76    Item I give and bequeath unto the children of my said brother Francis
77    Blake and Elizabeth his wife which shall be unmarryed at the time of
78    my decease a bond of five hundred pounds and interest which he owes
79    me on bond alsoe what rent and arreares of rent he shall then owe to
80    me for two estates one of a hundred and fifty pounds per Annum And the
81    other of a hundred and thirty pounds per Annum which he holds of me
82    being in Northumberland or adjacent Countyes as appears by the deeds
83    and writings of rent charge leases or otherwise and what is owed to me from
84    him as men[t]ioned will appear by my books of accompt all which said moneys
85    to be equally divided between them by my said brother at his discre[t]ion
86    Item I give and bequeath unto my said brother Sir Francis Blakes daughter
87    Mary Delavall the summe of fifty pounds to buy her a jeweller peece
88    of plate Item I give to his daughter Elizabeth fifty pounds to buy her
89    a Jewell or peece of plate and to his daughter Sarah fifty pounds
90    And to his daughter Elleanor fifty pounds and to his daughter Katherine
91    and Susannah fifty pounds apeece at their several ages of eighteen yeares
92    or dayes of marriage which first shall happen Item I give to the Minister
93    of Coggs aforesaid being my Chaplain at the time of my decease five
    [Page 3]
94    pounds to buy him a mourning gowne and a ring of twenty shillings Item I
95    give to Mr. Henry Cornish tenn pounds to buy him mourning or otherwise
96    Item I give to Mr Ralph Turmball Minister a mourning ring of twenty
97    shillings Item I give and bequeath unto Mr John Wheeler a ring of
98    twenty shillings And I further give unto him the Interest of fifty
99    pounds which shall be owe to me from him at my decease on a bond
100    of a hundred pounds but not the principall being fifty pounds which
101    he owes me on the said bond and what other moneys owe to me as by his
102    accompt in my bookes Item I give and bequeath unto my said wives
103    Rela[t]ions as followeth viz [ a vi]t to her Nephew William Billidge
104    sonn of John Billidge deceased her brother by Susannah his wife
105    the summe of fifty pounds haveing given him at setting up of his trade
106    two hundred pounds and in case of his dyeing before the said fifty poundes
107    be paid then I give the same to his brother if liveing otherwise the same
108    to cease. Item I give and bequeath unto Susannah Billidge the widow
109    of the said John Billidge the summe of tenn pounds and to each and
110    every one of her other childrens children by the said John Billidge the
111    summe of twenty five pounds to be by my said Executors equally
112    distributed and paid to them And in case they dye before the same
113    become payable then the same to cease Item I give and bequeath unto
114    Ministers of my acquaintance such as I releived in my life time and to
115    other distressed parsons in the County of Oxon and in and about the
116    cittyes of London and Westminster the summe of fifty pounds to be by
117    my said Executors given and distributed amongst them according to the
118    discre[t]ion of my Executors Item I give and bequeath unto poor widows
119    and Orphans and other distressed people such as I in my life time
120    releived and others in and about the cittyes of London and
121    Westminster the summe of fifty pounds to be by my said Executors
122    given and distributed amongst them according to the discre[t]ion of my
123    said Executors Item I give and bequeath unto the poor of the Towne
124    and Parish of Witny in the said County of Oxon the summe of twenty
125    pounds to be distrubuted as aforesaid Item I give unto my wife the
126    summe of fifty pounds if liveing at the time of my decease if otherwise
127    unto my Executors in trust for Joanna Hersington for her personall
128    use and dispose and for separate maintenance soe that her husband
129    may not have power to dispose of any part thereof from her and whom
130    I desire my wife to take care of and if the said Joanna dye before the
131    said Legacy be nowe payable then I give the said fifty pounds
132    to my said wife Item I give and bequeath unto Anne Adams the summe
133    of twenty pounds if living otherwise to cease Item I give and bequeath
134    unto Elizabeth Smart formerly my maid servant twenty and five pounds
135    Item I give and bequeath unto my servants which shall be at the time
136    of my decease imployed in the severall offices the severall Legacyes
137    following viz[ a vi]t To my Bayliff or cheife husbandman twenty and
138    five pounds if he gives in a just amount of his trust And what he
139    managed to my Butler five pounds to my groome fifty shillings
140    to the Coachman fifty shillings to the boy that worketh with him
141    tenn shillings to the Gardiner fifty shillings to the shephard fifty
142    shillings to the Carter thirty shillings to the under Shephard tenn
143    shillings to the boy that doth attend upon my person at the time of
144    my decease fifteen pounds to put him out to a trade and fit him with
145    cloathes and necessaryes Item I give and bequeath unto my women
    [Page 4]
146    servants which shall be at the time of my decease as followeth
147    to the cheife maid Mary Freeman fifty pounds And I give to my said
148    wife fifty pounds to be paid to the said Mary Freeman provided she
149    continue servant to my said wife dureing her life she not departing
150    from my wives service without licence in writing under my wives
151    hand and then to have the said last men[t]ioned fifty pounds To the
152    middle maid three pounds to the coock maid fifty shillings to the
153    dairy maid thirty shillings to the under maid twenty shillings to the
154    garden weeding woman tenn shillings Item I give and bequeath unto
155    the Bayliffs and Churchwardens of the town of Witny aforesaid for
156    the time being for the use and benefit of the Towne the striking clock
157    with hand dyalls which I have caused to be set up and fixed on the
158    Market house of Witney aforesaid I alsoe give thirty shillings yearely forever
159    unto the said Bailliffs and Churchwardens towards the keeping and
160    repaireing of the said Clock and Clockhouse one half of the said summe
161    to be paid at Michaelmas the other at Lady Day and the paym[en]ts
162    to beginn at such of the said Feast dayes as shall first happen after
163    my decease And I appoint that the said summe of thirty shillings be paid
164    yearely according to the Feasts aforesaid by the Owners of my said
165    house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being to the said Bayliffs
166    and Churchwardens of Whitny for the time being to be by them
167    paid out for the aforesaid use of the clock dialls and clockhouse as
168    aforesaid unto the person or persons that shall look after them and
169    keep them in order goeing and repaired and for noe other use
170    purpose whatsoever Item I will and appoint to be paid by the
171    owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being
172    twenty shillings yearely and forever for and towards the keeping
173    in repair and beautifying of my owne my wives and of my deceased
174    sons monument erected in the said Church of Coggs alsoe the
175    wainscote curtaine to the said Monument And that Isle in which
176    the said Monument stands the said twenty shillings to be by them
177    laid out and disposed for the aforesaid use of the Monument Curtaine and
178    Isle aforesaid when there shall be occasion for any of the said
179    repairs otherwise to remaine in their hands until there be
180    occasion and for noe other use whatsoever Item I will and
181    appoint to be paid to the Minister of the said Church of Coggs and
182    his successors fifteen shillings yearely for ever And I will the same
183    be paid in manner aforesaid by the owners of my said house and
184    Mannor Coggs for the time being upon every new years day
185    provided the said Minister for the time being that day in the morning
186    or afternoon preach a sermon in the Church makeing it his subject
187    to exhort his hearers to consider their latter end or some such life
188    exhorta[t]ions And in case any New Years Day shall happen to be the
189    Lords day then such preaching to be in the afternoon and in case he
190    neglect to preach at the same time then I give the said fifteen
191    shillings to the poor of Coggs and Newland to be distributed amongst
192    them in bread by the Churchwardens of Coggs aforesaid for the time
193    being Item I give and bequeath tenn shillings yearely forever to be
194    paid by the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the
195    time being unto the Churchwardens of Coggs aforesaid for the time being
196    to be laid out by them in bread and to be distributed to the poor of
197    Coggs and Newland aforesaid at the discre[t]ion of the said Churchwardens
    [Page 5]
198    at the said Church to such of them as shall come to heare and be
199    present at the said sermon which shall be preached on the said yearely
200    day Item I give and bequeath for the benefit of poor protestant
201    children males and females borne in the said parish of Coggs Newland
202    and Witney as followeth To the School Mistresse of High Coggs for the
203    time being who shall be a protestant and from time to time be nominated
204    by the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being
205    and by them to be paid to her the summe of six pounds yearely for ever
206    by two half yearely payments and at the two most usuall Feast dayes
207    Mich[elm]as and our Lady Day the first payment thereof to begin and to
208    be made on the first of the said Feasts which shall happen come
209    and be next after my decease for teaching to read and instructing
210    in learning and in a protestant catechisme the number
211    of four and twenty poor children of Coggs and Newland aforesaid And if
212    there shall be wanting children in Coggs and Newland aforesaid
213    to make up that number then to be supplyed from adjacent Towns
214    and alsoe to teach the females of them plaine work and to knit Item I
215    give and bequeath unto the School Mistresse of Newland for the time
216    being who shall be a protestant and alsoe be nominated by the owners
217    of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being the like summe
218    of six pounds yearely and for ever and by them to be paid to her by two
219    half yearely payments and at the most usuall Feasts dayes in manner as
220    aforesaid for the teaching to read and instructing in learning and a
221    protestant catechisme the number of four and twenty poore
222    children of Newland and Coggs aforesaid and if there shall be wanting
223    in Newland and Coggs children to make up that number then to be
224    supplyed from Witney and adjacent Townes and alsoe to teach the
225    Females of them plaine worke and to knit Item I give and bequeath
226    to the schoolmistress of Witney aforesaid for the time being who alsoe
227    shall be a protestant and nominated by the owners of my said
228    house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being the like summe of six
229    pounds yearely and for ever to be paid to her by two half yearely
230    payments in manner as aforesaid by the owners of my said house and
231    Mannor of Coggs for the time being for teaching to read and
232    instructing in learning and in a protestant Catechism the number
233    of thirty poor children of Witney and adjacent Townes males and
234    females and alsoe to teach the Females of their plaine worke and to
235    knit all which children shall be nominated from time to time by the
236    owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being
237    Item I give and bequeath five pounds per Ann[um] for ever to be paid by
238    two half yearely payments on the aforesaid Feast days by the owners
239    of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being in manner as
240     aforesaid to a writing Master for teaching a reasonable number of
241    men children to write and to cyphr soe farr as is convenient to fit
242    boys for trades and to perfect them in reading and in the protestant
243    catechisme which children shall be appointed and chosen by the owners
244    of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being and be by them taken
245    and still supplyed anew as any boy or boys shall goe off either out of the said
246    schooles of High Coggs and Newland fitting to learn to write such as have
247    well first learned to read in the bible by the said school mistresses
248    and if there shall be wanting boyes then the said number of boyes by the
249    owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being to be
    [Page 6]
250    supplyed and made up from time to time from and out of the aforesaid
251    parish of Witney and adjacent Townes such whose parents are poor and
252    indigent all which said children male and Female for the preferring of them
253    to learning as aforesaid and the writing Master and Schoolmistresses are
254    to have the approba[t]ion of and to be nominated from time to time by the
255    owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being and not
256    otherwise to be admitted to any of the places aforesaid and the said
257    children at their entrance to be taught by the said school mistresses
258    as aforesaid are to be of or about the age of six yeares and shall and
259    may continue to be instructed as aforesaid until they be and have
260    accomplished the age of nine yeares and noe longer or until they have
261    read the Bible twice which shall first happen and as any of them the
262    said children taught by the said writing Master or school mistresses
263    shall happen to dye or be removed their rooms and places shall
264    successively be supplyed by the owners of my said house and Mannor
265    of Coggs for the time being againe out of the aforemen[t]ioned Townes
266    to compleate the said number of them as before appointed And I
267    further give and bequeath the summe of twenty pounds per Annum
268    for ever at the Feast dayes and in manner as aforesaid to be laid
269    out by the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time
270    being to buy some of the poorer sort of the said Children of Coggs
271    and Newland aforesaid to be distributed at their discre[t]ion and not
272    the children of Witney and Townes adjacent yearely and every
273    yeare gownes or cloathes all of a colour and alsoe to buy them
274    catechises primmers Testaments Bibles and other protestant bookes
275    and what of the said twenty pounds shall be in their hands not soe laid
276    out yearely shall be towards buying of cloathes for such of the said
277    children as shall be put out to prentice Trades or services at the
278    discre[t]ion of the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs as
279    aforesaid And further I give and bequeath the summe of seven pounds
280    and sixteen shillings per Ann[um] for ever to buy bread yearely and every
281    yeare to be distributed and given by the Churchwardens or Overseers of
282    Coggs aforesaid for the time being to such poor people of Coggs and
283    Newland aforesaid as the owners of my said House and Mannor of Coggs for
284    the time being shall think fit and approve off an equall propor[t]ion of the said
285    seven pounds and sixteen shillings to be distributed on every Lords day in
286    the yeare to the said poor which shall be at the heareing of the sermon
287    which shall be preached by a protestant minister at Coggs Church aforesaid
288    Item I give and bequeath the schoolhouse which I have built in Coggs
289    aforesaid with the garden and the appurten[an]ces thereunto belonging shall
290    forever remaine and be for the use of the aforesaid school mstresses
291    for the time being to dwell in rent free and without paying any Fine
292    at Entrance to teach and instruct the said children in Coggs aforesaid
293    according to the direc[t]io[n] aforesaid I further will give and bequeath that
294    the schoolhouse I have built in Newland aforesaid with the garden and
295    other the appurtenances thereunto belonging shall for ever remaine and
296    be for the use of the aforesaid schoolmistresse for the time being to dwell
297    in there rent free and without paying any Fine to teach and instruct the said
298    children in Newland aforesaid according to the direc[t]io[n] aforesaid. Item
299    I give and bequeath the schoolhouse of Witney by me built with the garden and
300    other appurtenances thereunto belonging shall for ever remaine and be for
301    the use of the school mistresse for the time being to dwell in rent free and
    [Page 7]
302    without paying fine to teach and instruct children in Witney aforesaid
303    according to the direc[t]io[n] aforesaid I further appoint the said Schoolmistresses if
304    single women otherwise their husbands each of them to give bond in a reasonable
305    penalty for the owners of my house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being that
306    he or she respectively shall and will quietly goe out and leave the said
307    school house or houses when he or she or they respectively shall be required
308    thereunto by the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the
309    time being in writing under their hand or hands whom I desire may be
310    removed upon any misdemeanor of the said school mistresses respectively
311    refuseing to teach the children as aforemen[t]ioned or by takeing in a greater
312    number of children to teach than before men[t]ioned without the approba[t]ion
313    of the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being or
314    any other misdeamenor to the prejudice of the said childrens learning
315    And in such cases I appoint the owners of my said house and Mannor of
316    Coggs for the time being to nominate and put in others in his her and their
317    places who shall be removed for the foremen[t]ioned uses of teaching children
318    Item I give and bequeath the summe of thirty shillings per Ann[um] for ever to
319    be paid by the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the time
320    being at the said Feast dayes and in manner as aforesaid if occasion shall
321    require it for and towards the repaireing and rebuilding as occasion shall
322    happen by Fire or other accidentall causes of the said schoolhouses of
323    Coggs Newland and Witney otherwise to remaine in their hands for the said
324    use or uses when it shall be requisite to be disbursed and for noe
325    other use whatsoever Item I give and devise to the owners of my said
326    house and Mannor of Coggs for the time being the Master of the Freeschool
327    of Witney aforesaid for the time being John Collier of Witney aforesaid
328    cloathier Richard Broom of Witney aforesaid Mercer and Edward Moulden
329    of Witney aforesaid Ironmonger and their heires and to the heires of the
330    survivor of them all my Lands tenements and hereditaments in Alscot al[ia]s
331    Alvescot in the said county of Oxon to the uses intents and purposes hereafter
332    in this my Will men[t]ioned that is to say in trust for the due payment of
333    the said severall and respective summes before men[t]ioned of thirty shillings
334    twenty shillings fifteen shillings tenn shillings six pounds six pounds six
335    pounds five pounds twenty pounds seven pounds sixteen shillings thirty
336    shillings and tenn pounds per Ann[um] for ever out of the yearely profits of
337    the premisses in Alvescot unto the owners of my said house and Mannor
338    of Coggs for the time being for the severall and respective uses and beheeses
339    aforesaid and not otherwise And I further will and ordaine that my said
340    Trustees or Feofees last before named and the Major part of them their
341    heires and Assignes for ever shall from time to time let and set all my estate
342    and liveing in Alvescot aforesaid unto some able Tenant or Tenants
343    paying a certaine yearely rent or rents according to the true and then
344    reall vallue and worth thereof which they shall soe let or set by Lease
345    not exceeding one and twenty yeares without committing any wast or
346    takeing any Fine And I will and ordaine that they the said Trustees or
347    Feoffees their heires and Assignes out of the said yearely rent or rents
348    shall pay or cause to be paid Annually for ever the aforesaid yearely summes
349    of thirty shillings twenty shillings fifteen shillings tenn shillings six
350    pounds six pounds six pounds five pounds twenty pounds seven
351    pounds sixteen shillings thirty shillings and tenn pounds at the severall
352    and respective times of payment where at the said severall yearely
353    summes are to be paid as before directed every yeare as is
    [Page 8]
354    before and after men[t]ioned unto the owners of my said house and Mannor
355    of Coggs aforesaid for the time being for ever to be by him her and them
356    paid and disposed at the times and for the uses and beheeses before
357    men[t]ioned and not otherwise And I further will and ordaine that the
358    overplus of moneys or what shall be remaineing of all the said rent rents
359    and profits of the said premisses in Alvescott shall be paid by my said
360    Trustees or Feefoes their heires and Assignes at the two most usuall Feasts
361    in every yeare viz [a vi]t the Feast of the Annuncia[t]io[n] of the blessed Lady St Mary
362    the virgin and Michaell the Archangell or within one and twenty dayes
363    next after each of the said Feasts unto the owners of my said house and
364    Mannor of Coggs for the time being successively for ever to whom I give
365    the said overplus yearely and forever the first payment thereof to begin
366    and to be made on the first of the said Feasts which shall happen after my
367    decease in confidence - that the owners of my said house and Mannor of
368    Coggs for the time being shall accept of and performe the trusts reposed
369    in them by this my Will and not otherwise And further provided that
370    the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs aforesaid doe not
371    demand take or receive any Fine rent or other payment from the said
372    schoolmistresses or their husbands or any of them of Coggs and Newland
373    or give them any disturbance concerning the title of the said school houses
374    And I further will and ordaine that my said Trustees or Feoffees their
375    heires and Assignes shall first pay and defalt unto themselves out of the
376    said rent or profitts of Alvescot aforesaid what reasonable charge they
377    any or either of them shall sustaine at any time or times in or about
378    the premisses or trusts reposed in them as aforesaid and after that they
379    pay and defalt unto themselves out of the said rent rents or profits
380    annually and every yeare twenty five shillings for the charge of a
381    meeting dinner at some place and time by them agreed on in and about
382    their said Trust Item I will that the owners of my said house and Mannor
383    of Coggs for the time being shall have and enjoy the use only and not
384    the property of all my sonns Francis bookes and other bookes of mine
385    which are men[t]ioned in a schedule hanging up in the studdy within the
386    withdrawing room of my Mansion house in Coggs aforesaid and alsoe
387    the use of the Globes and a large mapp in the said studdy And I further
388    will and direct that the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs
389    for the time being and my said wife dureing her naturall life shall have
390    and enjoy only the use but not the property of the furniture in the
391    great parlour and withdrawing room in my said Mansion house
392    of Coggs (viz [a vi]t) of the pictures of Sir Francis Blake my Father and of
393    the said Sarah my wife and of the said Francis my sonn and of Elleanor
394    my sister and my owne and other pictures hanging in the said great
395    parlour with the chaires Tables carpets Andirons and two large
396    Looking Glasses usually being there and in the withdrawing roome
397    and alsoe of the Furniture in the little parlour in my said Mansion
398    house (viz [a vi]t) the lookeing glass chaires Tables and Watch clock
399    usually being there and alsoe the China Wares pictures chaires
400    cushions a small silver carpet Tables which are usually in my
401    wives Closset over the hall and little parlour of Coggs aforesaid
402    All which bookes goods and things last men[t]ioned I give and devise
403    unto my said Executors and to the Executors and Administrators of
404    the survivor of them in trust for the owners of my said house and
405    Mannor of Coggs for the time being and which I desire should and
    [Page 9]
406    doe will and appoint to goe along and be enjoyed with my said
407    house for ever or soe long as may be and not to be sold disposed
408    off or moved out of the said Mansion house of Coggs but belong
409    and be annexed thereunto into whose hands soever the same shall
410    descend and come And I desire and appoint my said Executors
411    in trust to take an Inventory and make a duplicate there of of all
412    the before men[t]ioned goods which are to goe along with the
413    Inheritance of my Mansion house one part thereof to be hanged
414    up in the said studdy in my said house of Coggs and the other
415    part thereof to be kept by my said Executors in trust and by the
416    Executors and Administrators of the survivor of them to the use
417    interest and purpose aforesaid Item I will and bequeath to my said
418    wife my diamond Jewell called a Claspe being of three peices
419    which she usually wore with a gowne and Mantoe and all other
420    my rings plate pearle and Jewells Item I give and bequeath
421    unto the said John Biscoe whom I hereby appoint one of my
422    Executors in trust the summe of fifty pounds provided he accept
423    the trust and not otherwise Item I give and bequeath unto Mr
424    Peter Storer a ring of tenn shillings Item I give and bequeath
425    unto my cozen Joseph Biscoe a ring of tenn shillings Item I give
426    and bequeath unto my Chaplin for the time being  tenn pounds to
427    buy him a mourning or otherwise desireing him to make the
428    Inscrip[t]ion of mine and my wifes Tombstones and alsoe desire
429    him to preach my Funerall sermon in Coggs Church aforesaid
430    Item I give to my said wife my Chariot or Coach and my two
431    best horses or mares with their harnesse and other things
432    belonging to them which I shall have at the time of my decease
433    Item I give my owne rideing gelding with the saddle and
434    furniture which I shall have at the time of my decease unto
435    my said brother Sir Francis Blake Item I give and bequeath unto
436    my said brother Sir Francis Blake my silver hilted sword and
437    a jewell of diamond and other precious Stones which I did usually
438    wear on my left arme a silver hilted sword that was my
439    sonns sword alsoe my Silver Watch Item I will and appoint
440    to be paid to the Minister of Coggs aforesaid for the time being
441    yearely and for ever tenn pounds at the said two usuall Feasts
442    aforesaid by equall por[t]ions or within one and twenty dayes
443    by the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for the
444    time being which I have hereby charged out of my Landes of
445    Alvescot the first payment thereof to begin and to be made on
446    the first of the said Feasts which shall happen to come and be
447    next after my decease provided the said Minister doe in a
448    protestant catechisme catechise the children of Coggs and
449    Newland Schools aforesaid on every Lords day in the afternoon
450    dureing the time of Lent alsoe the children and young people
451    of the said Townes and expound the same and Catechise as
452    aforesaid on the first Lords day in every moneth in the afternoon
453    yearely and forever except in time of Lent and alsoe shall
454    preach a sermon or give some short exhorta[t]ions at the times
455    before men[t]ioned and in case he shall omit to catechise expound
456    and preach or exhort at the times men[t]ioned then I will and
457    appoint for every such neglect the owners of my said house and
    [Page 10]
458    Mannor of Coggs for the time being keep and retain tenn shillings
459    out of the said half yearely payments and the moneys to be by them
460    distributed to the poor of Coggs and Newland aforesaid And I will
461    and desire the said Minister of Coggs for the time being may be
462    nominated by the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for
463    the time being for ever And I will and ordaine that my said Executors
464    in trust shall pay all my debts Legacyes and other payments due
465    from me at my decease out of my ready moneys and out of what
466    moneys shall be oweing me for arreares of rent not herein disposed
467    or upon any bonds or other securityes except what is before or
468    hereafter given which I will and appoint my said Executors in trust to
469    call in and in case the same shall not suffice then to make sale of
470    soe much of my corne hay and cattell at Coggs and else where that
471    is to say of corne hay cattle great and small horses beasts sheep
472    and Implements of husbandry not otherwise given away as before
473    or hereafter in this my Will as shall be necessary or wanting for
474    the paying and dischargeing of my said debts Legacyes and other
475    payments and that out of the said ready moneye and moneys which
476    shall be raised by arreares of rent and by moneys due upon Bond
477    or other securityes if need be and not otherwise by the said sales
478    of the said corne hay cattle and other particular things last men[t]ioned
479    as aforesaid Then my said Executors in trust shall pay or cause to be
480    paid out of the said last men[t]ioned particulars all my debts and the
481    severall giufts and Legacyes given and bequeathed by this my Will
482    within one yeare after my decease and to continue paying the same
483    as moneys shall come to their hands And I further will and ordaine
484    that the overplus if any of what moneys shall be remaineing and
485    raised by my said Executors in trust as before men[t]ioned and appointed
486    shall be paid within six monethes next after my decease unto my said
487    wife if liveing otherwise to my said brother Sir Francis Blakes
488    daughters and their heires for ever and what household stuff not
489    given away as before and Inventory thereof I will and desire my
490    Executors in trust to take and keep and for the said household stuff
491    my wife shall have only the use thereof dureing her naturall life
492    and after her decease I devise the same to my said brother Sir Francis
493    Blake and in case he dye before my said wife then I intend and
494    devise the same to be sold by my said Executors in trust and to be
495    by them disposed of amongst the children then unmarryed of my brother
496    Sir Francis Blake equally to be devided betweene them when they shall
497    attaine the age of eighteen yeares or dayes of marriage which shall first
498    happen and in case any of them shall dye before the same become
499    payable then to the survivor and survivors of them and for my said corne
500    hay cattle and other particular things last men[t]ioned which shall remaine
501    unsold after my debts and Legacyes paid as before men[t]ioned the same
502    shall be to the use of my brother Sir Francis Blake if then liveing
503    to whom I intend and doe hereby devise the same and in case my said
504    brother Sir Francis Blake dye before me then I will my said Executors
505    in trust shall make sale of the stock as corne hay cattle great and
506    small and other particular things last men[t]ioned and that the moneys soe
507    raised shall by them be given and disposed to the children of the said
508    Sir Francis Blake which shall be then unmarryed equally to be divided
509    as before to the survivor and survivors of them And whereas my said
    [Page 11]
510    brother Sir Francis Blake hath by good assurances in the Law
511    conveyed and secured unto me and my heires by and out of his Lands
512    lying in Ford Towne Ford Castle or place adjacent in the county of
513    Northumberland or else where the yearely rent or summes of one
514    hundred and fifty pounds per Ann[um] and one hundred and thirty pounds
515    per Annum I give and bequeath the same unto the said John Collier and
516    Edward Moulden and their heires for ever to the use of them and their
517    heires for ever In trust that they the said John Collier and Edward Moulden
518    and the survivor of them and the heires of the survivor by sale of the same
519    or otherwise shall pay or cause to be paid the summes of money
520    following that is to say unto John Haselwood of the University of
521    Oxon Apothecary his Executors and Administrators the summe of five
522    hundred and twelve pounds and tenn shillings of currant English
523    money and unto Benjamine Cooper of the said University of Oxon
524    gent his Executors and Assignes two hundred and five pounds unto
525    Nathaniell Drew of the Citty of Oxon Innholder his Executors or
526    Assigns the summe of two hundred and five pounds and unto James
527    Hamner of the said University of Oxon Batchelor in Divinity his
528    Executors and Assignes the summe of one hundred and two pounds
529    and tenn shillings for which said severall summes last men[t]ioned I
530    stand bound with my said brother Sir Francis Blake being his proper
531    debts in four severall Bonds or Obliga[t]ions to the said four last
532    men[t]ioned persons or to any other and to save me and my said Executors
533    harmless from the said severall debts he hath given me four severall
534    counterbonds And further in case I am bound with him to any other
535    person or person for his proper debtor debts that then I will that the said
536    Lands of one hundred and fifty pounds per Annum and one hundred
537    and thirty pounds per Annum shall stand charged for the payment
538    of all such summe and summes of money whatsoever wherein I
539    stand bound as his Security And alsoe I doe hereby will and devise
540    unto the said Emanuel Blake and his Assignes out of the last
541    men[t]ioned Lands and Rents soe devised to the said John Collier
542    and Edward Moulden and their heires during his naturall life
543    thirty and five pounds per Ann[um] by two half yearely payments that is
544    to say at the Feast of the Annuncia[t]ion of the blessed Lady St Mary
545    the virgin and St Michaell the Archangell the first payment thereof to begin
546    and to be made on the first of the said Feasts which shall happen
547    come and be next after my decease And alsoe to Amy his wife and
548    her Assignes fifty pounds per Ann[um] in like manner at the Feasts
549    aforesaid dureing the life of the said Emanuell her husband for the
550    separate maintenance of the said Amy and Sarah her daughter
551    and the acquittance of her the said Amy or her Assignes shall be
552    a sufficient discharge to my said Trustees and Feoffees and their heires
553    upon such payment and not otherwise soe that the said Emanuel may
554    not have power to dispose of any part thereof and after the death of
555    the said Emanuell then the said fifty pounds to cease Alsoe I further
556    will and appoint that my said Trustees or Feofees and their heires
557    after the decease of the said Emanuell doe out of the said Lands
558    and rents pay or raise to be paid unto the said Amy untill her said
559    daughter Sarah attaines the age of one and twenty yeares dayes of
560    marriage or death which shall first happen the summe of eighty
561    pounds per Annum in like manner at the Feasts aforesaid in confidence
    [Page 12]
562    that she the said Amy will take care to educate and breed up the said Sarah
563    her daughter untill she attaine the said age of one and twenty yeares or be
564    marryed and then after the said Sarah shall accomplish her said age of
565    one and twenty yeares be marryed or dye then the said eighty pounds
566    p[er] Annum to cease and then after to pay fifty pounds per Annum to the
567    said Amy dureing her life at the said Feasts and in manner as aforesaid
568    and I will that the said thirty five pounds per Annum to the said Emanuel
569    and the said fifty pounds per Annum to the said Amy dureing the life
570    of the said Emanuell and the said eighty pounds per Annum to the
571    said Amy after the death of the said Emanuel untill the said Sarah
572    shall attaine the age of one and twenty yeares be marryed or dye
573    which shall first happen and the said fifty pounds per Annum to the
574    said Amy dureing her life be paid by my said Trustees or Feofees
575    and their heires yearely in manner as aforesaid the first payment thereof
576    to begin and to be made on the first of the said Feasts which shall
577    happen come and be next after my decease And I further give and
578    bequeath out of the said Lands and rents to the said Sarah daughter of the
579    said Emanuell and Amy the summe of five hundred pounds to be
580    paid unto her at the age of one and twenty yeares or day of
581    marriage which shall first happen And in case the said Sarah dye
582    before the age of one and twenty yeares and not marryed then the
583    said Legacy of five hundred pounds to cease And I further give
584    and bequeath out of the said Lands and rents unto the said Sarah
585    Blake daughter of the said Sir Francis Blake the summe of three
586    hundred pounds to be paid unto her within a yeare after my decease
587    To the said Elizabeth Blake daughter of the said Sir Francis Blake
588    the summe of one thousand pounds to be paid her at the age of one
589    and twenty yeares or day of marriage which shall first happen And
590    to the said Susannah Blake daughter of the said Sir Francis Blake
591    the summe of two hundred pounds to be paid her at the age of one
592    and twenty yeares or day of marriage which shall first happen And
593    to the said Katherine Blake youngest daughter of the said Sir Francis
594    Blake the summe of three hundred pounds to be paid unto her
595    at the age of one and twenty yeares or day of marriage which
596    shall first happen And my will further is that the said yearely rents
597    of one hundred and fifty pounds per Annum and one hundred and
598    thirty pounds per Annum shall stand charged for the sure payment
599    for the said thirty five pounds per Annum to the said Emanuell
600    dureing his life and of fifty pounds per Annum to the said Amy
601    dureing the life of the said Emanuell and after his death then of the
602    said eighty pounds per Annum to the said Amy as aforesaid And
603    of the said fifty pounds per Annum to the said Amy dureing her life
604    as aforesaid and of the said five hundred pounds to the said Sarah
605    and of the said severall summes given as aforesaid unto the said Sarah
606    Elizabeth Susannah and Katherine daughters of the said Sir Francis
607    Blake and for what other moneys I stand bound with him as his Surety
608    and as before recited And I alsoe further will and appoint that all
609    the writings and securityes to me made or to be made by my said
610    brother Sir Francis Blake for the said one hundred and fifty
611    pounds and one hundred and thirty pounds per Annum shall
612    remaine and be in the hands and power of my said Trustees or
613    Feofees and their heires untill the said severall summes of money
    [Page 13]
614    wherein I am bound as surety for the said Sir Francis Blake and
615    the Annuall payments to the said Emanuell and Amy and the said
616    summe of five hundred pounds to the said Sarah and alsoe of
617    the said severall summes given unto the said Sarah Elizabeth
618    Susanna and Katherine daughters of the said Sir Francis Blake
619    as aforesaid shall be paid and satisfyed and when the said severall
620    and respective summes of money before men[t]ioned and wherein
621    I stand bound with him shall be fully paid and satisfyed Then I
622    doe hereby give the residue of the trust of the said Lands and
623    yearely rents of one hundred and fifty pounds and one hundred
624    and thirty pounds per Annum unto my neeces Sarah Elizabeth
625    Susannah and Katherine daughters of the said Sir Francis Blake
626    and their heires they first giveing sufficient discharges unto my
627    said Trustees and the survivor of them and his heires Then I will
628    and appoint my said Trustees or Feofees and their heires to deliver
629    or cause to delivered up unto the said Sarah Elizabeth Susannah
630    and Katherine and their heires all the said writings and securityes
631    touching and concerning the said one hundred and fifty pounds and
632    one hundred and thirty pounds per Annum And I nominate and
633    appoint my said wife the said Joseph Biscoe the said John Biscoe
634    and the said Richard Broome Executors of this my last will and
635    Testament in trust for the uses and purposes aforesaid and not
636    otherwise And whereas I have given twenty pounds yearely before
637    in this my Will to the poor children of Coggs and Newland to
638    be by the owners of my said house disposed of as before men[t]ioned
639    my will and desire is that out of the said twenty pounds yearely
640    they cloath yearely and every yeare at St Thomas day the
641    number of six boyes and six girles and noe more soe long
642    as they stay and continues at school and when any of them goe
643    out then their places or Roomes be supplyed and filled up
644    with other children then at school at the elec[t]ion of the owners
645    of my said Mansion house and Mannor of Coggs for the time
646    being And I will that the said children be the poorest of them
647    as shall be then at my schooles in Coggs and Newland and to
648    such as are borne in the said Townes and not otherwise as followeth
649    to each boy a Gowne and other necessaryes for cloathing not
650    exceeding fifteen shillings To each Girle a Gowne and other
651    necessaryes not exceeding thirteen shillings and four pence and
652    what shall be remaineing of the said twenty pounds yearely shall
653    be by the owners of my said house and Mannor of Coggs for
654    the time being laid out and disposed of for buying bookes and
655    other things as before men[t]ioned Item I give and bequeath unto
656    the said Richard Broome fifty pounds and a mourning ring
657    of twenty shillings provided he accept of the trust as Executor
658    first and not otherwise and to the said John Collier Edward
659    Moulden and the said School Master and each of them mourning
660    Rings of twenty shillings And I further desire and appoint my
661    said wife at the time of her death to give and leave unto my said
662    brother Sir Francis Blakes children as she shall think meet
663    all my East India and Outlandish plate and alsoe some of my
664    Jewells which I have given her as aforesaid and what other of my
665    plate Jewells and household stuff given to her some part thereof
    [Page 14]
666    To be given to her and my Rela[t]ions as she shall think fit Item I give and
667    bequeath unto Henry Godfrey of Burford in the said County of Oxon gent the
668    summe of five pounds and a mourning ring of tenn shillings And lastly my
669    will and mind is in case any or either of the persons before named in
670    this my Will she dye in my life time whereby the Legacyes and bequests
671    intended then shall become voyd and declared then to cease or
672    otherwise shall become voyd that then in such case whatsoever is hereby
673    willed devised or intended to or for the person or persons soe dying
674    and not otherwise disposed as aforesaid shall be and is hereby
675    devised to the children of the said Sir Francis Blake for ever
676    equally to be divided between them and to whom alsoe I devise all
677    the residue of my personall estate herein quitted to be men[t]ioned
678    and not otherwise devised as aforesaid And I doe hereby revoke all
679    former Wills by me made heretofore and this only to be taken for
680    my Last Will and Testament In witness whereof I have hereunto
681    Set my hand and seale the day and yeare first above written William
682    Blake Signed Sealed published and declared to be the last Will and Testament of the said William Blake after the
683    interline above and various within made containing two lines and one peece of parchment in the presence of Hen: Godfrey, Cha: Smart, Rich: Godfrey, Edw: Spire.


No comments: